Most communities have pioneers who cut a clear path in history - they were the first settlers to the area, the developers, the industrialists, the noteworthy for one reason or another. Oceana County has its pioneer in the form of Charles Mears. In 1837, Charles, who was just 23 years old, came to the White Lake Area in search of lumbering the virgin timber lands found there. His first mill was located on a stream called Silver Creek. The mill area quickly became a full lumber settlement and Mears continued on to build many such settlements.
From that point on, Mears was into businesses of all sorts, but lumbering remained his chief interest. Eventually he owned thousands of acres stretching from White Lake to Big Point Sable north of Ludington. By the time he retired in 1883, Charles Mears has built 15 mills and five harbors, and had established the most widespread lumber business in this area. Prior to building the town of Mears, Charles started a mill operation near the outlet of Hunters Creek by Silver Lake. At this site he built a home near the mill, the White House. It was there in 1874 when he was 59 that he married Carrie Mears, who was 23.
Membership in the Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area Chamber is an economically wise investment in marketing businesses in the Silver Lake Sand Dunes area. By combining financial resources, your dollars go farther and promotions cover a variety of experiences and opportunities in the Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area. Membership in the Hart-Silver Lake-Mears Area Chamber of Commerce provides an even broader scope of opportunities for businesses and organizations, including:
- Telephone and mail referrals
- A complete listing on the combined website
- A subscription to the Chamber Newsletter
- Networking opportunities
- Chamber-led Advertising Campaigns to promote our area
- A listing in the Chamber Membership Directory and Buyer's Guide
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance Availability (through a local agent)
- Involvement in the Business Community
- Your input into the growth and development of the community
- Your business materials distributed, and your business promoted through the Visitor Center on Polk Rd.
- Flyer in the Newsletter at No Charge for Members
- Access to educational programs for members and their employees
- Executive Director to assist you and your business with Chamber activities.
For further information, contact the Chamber office.
Click the link to Join the Chamber today!