Fall Color Tour
Crisp autumn air, bountiful harvests of apples and pears, orange-colored fields with fat, ripe pumpkins. All signs that it is time to plan your color tour in Oceana County. Plan a trip to our area to enjoy the beauty of the season in a variety of ways. Take a drive in the country or a jeep or buggy tour; a ride or stroll on the Hart-Montague Rail Trail, and a canoe or boat trip on one of our inland lakes or rivers. If you're planning a driving tour, be sure to stop and check out some of the fascinating and fun attractions along the way. And of course, while you're here, indulge your tastebuds at one of our roadside farm markets and orchards. The possibilities are as plentiful as the harvest in Oceana County.
Whether coming from the North or South, start your adventure by following US-31 to the Webster Road Exit. Turn West and follow B-15 along the lake shore through rolling wooded hillsides, orchards with ripe apples and beautiful vistas of Lake Michigan, Stony Lake, Silver Lake, and Pentwater Lake. Turn East on Monroe Road in Pentwater to Oceana Drive. Turn South on Oceana Drive to Tyler Road. Turn South on State Street. Turn East on Polk Road to return to Oceana Drive. Follow Oceana Drive South to M-20 and head West to get back to US-31. Listed below are some points of interest:
- Visit the Little Pointe Sable Lighthouse. Turn West at the corner B-15 and Silver Lake Road. Following the winding paved road to the Little Pointe Sable State Park.
- Take a ride over the Silver Lake Sand Dunes and witness a majestic view of the lake shore. Take a dune buggy tour with Mac Woods. Dune Buggy rentals are also available.
- Go Antique Hunting. Visit The Barn Antiques located off B-15. Follow the signs down Warren Road.
Historic Downtown Hart:
- Stroll the downtown district. Enjoy shopping and dinning in this small lake side area.
- Spend the night. Stay for the evening or weekend at a Bed and Breakfast or any of our local hotels.
- After visiting Silver Lake, be sure to stop into Mears. Take time to see the Oceana County Historic Museum and visit the shops.
The Hart-Montague Bike Trail is a 22 mile linear state park. The entire trail is at least a 10-foot wide paved trail through rich farm land, forests and through quaint villages. There are many stops along the way to rest or catch a bite to eat. Start your trip at the Trail Head in downtown Hart, and enjoy your scenic tour of our beautiful area.
Bring your canoe or boat to enjoy the beauty of the season from a different point of view. Public launches and boat ramps can be found at Hart Lake and Silver Lake. Or, enjoy one of our many rivers for boating. You can rent a canoe, kayak, tube, or raft at Happy Mohawk Canoe Livery and experience the scenic White River.