Shelby’s economy is supported by tourism, local stores and businesses, many of which are located in a newly formed industrial park located to the north of town. Shelby is also located on the Hart-to-Montague Bicycle Trail, a popular attraction and one of the first of its kind in the state. ISurrounding agriculture also plays a significant role, as Shelby is located in the middle of a rich fruit belt especially known for apples.
Shelby was originally established as Churchill’s Corners in 1866, named after Walter H. Churchill who was the first postmaster. It was renamed Shelby in 1885 when it was incorporated as a village – after General Isaac Shelby, who along with his famous Kentucky Rangers, took back Detroit from the British in the War of 1812.